Monday, October 22, 2007

Monday October 22, 2007 11:00 p.m.

This is Grandma Wygant posting tonight for Chris and Sasha. We four grandparents traveled together today to be with Chris, Sasha, and Mikayla. Mikayla left for surgery around 9:00 a.m. and went to the recovery room around 3:00 p.m. The Doctor had a change of plans for surgery. He decided to perform a biopsy and insert a shunt rather than attempt to remove the tumor today. He reported to us that the tumor is malignant, however it is slow growing which is a positive. It is called astrocytcoma, it is an abnormal cell that has been growing. After the biopsy, the shunt was inserted, which will be permanent. It will release the pressure which has caused the headaches and vomiting. It will take 4-5 days for the official reports to be returned from the biopsy, but normally the first observation is usually correct. The doctors will study the reports and proceed with a plan of action, options could include, chemo, radiation, surgery. This type of tumor does not spread to other parts of the body which is another positive. The doctor said that he was cautiously optimistic and if he is ,we are too..... We were able to see her for just a moment as she was being taken for another CT scan (to check for bleeding etc.) after she had returned from recovery. She was so precious lying on that bed with her cap covering most of her head, and clutching one of her favorite blankets. It is heartbreaking, any one of us would trade places with her in a heartbeat. We left her in good hands, her Daddy will sit by her side tonight, and Sasha is not far away. Thanks for your prayers, love, and caring for all of our family.

4 comments:

Jean W. said...

My Dearest Elsie and family;
Yes, you may call me anytime, I will be here to help you however you need me. I anticipated that you would want to talk to me.

I make these promises to you; I will answer all questions you put to me, and I will not lie to you.

I send virtual hugs to all of you, and real prayers to heaven.

I'm so sorry that you all have to deal with this.

Jean Williams

Jonell said...

Sasha and Chris,
Our prayers are continuing. Let us know if you need anything. Love and prayers, Jonell and Sam

Ron said...

Thanks for the update. We are all praying for you all during this tough time. If there is anything I can do please let me know.

Ron and Michelle Sloan
Things are ok at the office.

Blackman's said...

Sasha and Chris,
We are happy to help with your needs here in Kendallville. You are in our hearts, thoughts and prayers always.
Eric and Jen