Thursday, October 25, 2007

Chris on 10/25/07

We are home! Mikayla was discharged from Riley yesterday 10/24. We weren't so sure she was coming home as everytime we started to leave she vomited. But we made it home and she hasn't vomited since. Last night was not easy as Grace was reunited with her sister. It is difficult for Grace to understand Mikayla's situation as she thinks since the biopsy everything should be out and everything returns to normal. It also doesn't help that the steroids Mikayla is on seem to play with her emotions and can make seem down right mean at times (especially to Mom). We all tried to sleep in the family room (from one recliner to another). Eventually I made it to my own bed as I think my body finally gave in (I passed out and then vomited myself -- just giving Sasha some extra practice). I feel better this morning. Mikayla has not vomited since we left Riley. But she is eating everything in site. The generosity of our family and friends has made food in overabundance in our house. We will be doing an add for weight watchers when this is all over. Now some good news. The final reading on the pathology came back and indeed it is a low grade astrocytoma. The oncologist called me this morning. He even referred to it as benign. She will still need chemo but at least is not invasive and very slow growing. It has probably been there for quite some time, but no symptoms until it started causing pressure in the brain. The reason we couldn't excise it is because it was too big and in a dangerous location. The doctor told me she was already too smart and too cute to make things worse. So the biopsy and then medical treatment should be much safer and overall better quality of life. I am waiting to hear back from the oncology office for next weeks appointment down at Riley. Now I must go take care of my patient. Chris

3 comments:

Jean W. said...

Welcome home.

Jean Williams

Unknown said...

So glad your home!
Love,
NAn and Mike

Unknown said...

very happy to hear you are home. Jesse (my friend you met at the beach who works for the anaheim ducks) sent mikayla some stuff to the hospital yesterday should be there in a couple of days. Just wanted to let you know so you could pick it up next time you are there. give Mikayla hugs for me and let the girls know the sandcrabs are waiting for them in California:) much love, amber