Tuesday, October 23, 2007

10/23/07 1150

Hello all! I will try my hand at posting a blog, hopefully I won't mess it up. One correction from a 2 blogs ago. The tumor is not considered malignant. It has not spread to any other spots. The MRI of her entire spine was negative and tumors arising in the brain essentially never spread to sites outside the brain and spinal cord. I think what Elsie meant by malignant was that it is a type of cancer. Essentially when these cells grow abnormally they can be low grade (slow growing and less aggressive) or high grade (rapidly growing and more aggressive). Mikayla's is fortunately low grade. Now the oncologist we spoke with today feels low grade could be considered more closer to benign rather than a true cancer. I think it is all in how you look at. Benign or cancereous or malignant the mass itself is what caused all her problems. This morning she is in more pain, and needing pain medicines. The medicine makes her stomach upset so she is not eating the best. The plan is to move her out of the ICU today if a bed on a regular unit is available. Last night was good for neither Mikayla or myself as she couldn't get comfortable, she vomited, and she would not let me watch the first half of the colts game. I did get about 2 hours of sleep at the Ronald McDonald house after Sasha came back this morning. Sasha was able to talk with the oncologist this morning. He feels there is about 75 % of these tumors will respond to chemotherapy that would go on about 70 weeks (yes over a year) in cycles. Those who fail to respond (either it fails to shrink or starts increasing in size) will require radiation treatment in Bloomington, IN. The chemo would probably start in the next couple weeks at Riley then transition to Lutheran's Pediatric Clinic in Ft Wayne. Sasha or myself will let you all know more when there is more definitive plans.
Even though I am a doctor and have to rely on science based medicine, I truly have faith in our God and know that all of your prayers will get Mikayla through this. They have already carried us through the first stage. Please prayer for Grace and Jacob, Sasha as well. To all my doctor friends, I have told many people they have cancer and helped them through it , but I never dreamed I would diagnose my own child. Take the time to hug your kids and don't sweat the small things (even if they seem so big at the time).
Chris

9 comments:

Amy said...

Dr Frazier-
I am so sorry you and Sasha and Mikayla are all going through this ordeal- I can't imagine- it makes me go and hold on to Heather at night and cuddle her and realize the little things just don't matter. Call the office when you get a chance we have a few things we need to talk to you about- we are constantly chcking your updates and we all appreciate reading the updates, take care and know we all are praying for you and your family. Amy

Debi said...

Chris I am glad you wrote. The information was very helpful. Having to face such a serious situation with anyone is tough but when it is your own child the impact is so much harder. I have a great deal of faith in the Doctors at Riley and beileve you are in the best of care. I have even more faith in our God and know without a shadow of a doubt that he is watching your whole family and caring for your needs. I will give Sasha a call when I think you have had a chance to breath. In the meantime, know that the staff at West Noble, the members at St. Mark's and I am sure the congregation at Huntertown are praying for you and Mikayla. Debi

Cathy Conley said...

Dr. Frazier and family.
I have been thinking of and praying fervently for all you since this all began. Keep your faith and continue trusting in God. He will carry you through. What an awesome God he is!!
I know that you have probably had many offers to help, but please do not hesitate to call if you need anything at all in the months to come. (Help with the kids, meals, housework, running errands, etc.)
You will continue to be in my prayers.
Cathy

Holly Slater said...

Dr. Frazier and family,
My thoughts and prayers are with you. Trust in the Lord for he is good.

Mikayla,
May God bless you and keep you and make his face shine upon you.
Holly

Ron said...

Chris,
Thanks for the update. we have been checking every couple hrs for update. I agreee that faith and medicine are actually a good fit. Michelle and I are praying for you. I think of you several times a day and say a prayer for you all.

Unknown said...

Chris & Sasha:
Just learned of MiKayla's ordeal today and my heart goes out to you and your family. I really appreciate the blog and continued updates. I will view daily to check Mikayla's progress. Sasha - I will call you in a day or two. If all goes well, and you would like for me to, I can come and be with you on Friday afternoon and/or Sat for several hours. You just let me know what you need when I call. I'm here for you and your family even at a distance. God is good all the time and I know he has his guardian angels surrounding Mikayla at all times. Love ya, Rosie, Dale, Jessica & Anna

jen schneider said...

Dr Frazier & Sasha & Grandparents -I hate that you all are going through this and can't imagine how you're feeling. Please know that we are lifting your family in prayer and think of you often! Take care and tell Mikayla hey for me & Em - jen

rhonda said...

Chris and Sasha, We heard about Mikayla Sat. night. We have been praying for you all ever since. Asa and I were at Ft. Knox with the boy scouts for a huge campout and Don called me and let me know about Mikayla. I just couldn't hardly believe it. Don and I would like to come up Thursday or Friday just to say hello and offer some moral support. Just call us if there is anything we can do. Love, Don, Rhonda, and Asa

Babs said...

Dr Frazier
I just got the news from Amy, and am so sorry for what you all are going through. You were such a help to me this spring, please let me return the favor. if you need anything, I'm here for you. Also Mom and Dad are now making twice weekly trip to Indy and I know they would be more than willing to help out in any way they can as well. (I have not told them yet, but would like to with your permission.) I will keep you all in my prayers, especially Mikayla. God gave her such a strong spirit, and iron will, now we know why. I will keep checking for updates. Lean on your faith, and let the faith of others help support you. All my Love, and All Gods strength to each of you
Babs